Amidst our fast-paced lifestyle, the flurry of fad diets, intense workout regimens as well as so much diverse health and exercise related information coming at us, sculpting a sleek figure and retaining a healthy body has become more confusing than challenging.
Often obese people talk about body positivity while they struggle to sit, stand, or perform basic actions that a human body should be able to execute effortlessly. Body positivity has everything to do with being health conscious and not about quitting the quest for health due to the smallest roadblock and slipping down the slippery slope of an imbalanced lifestyle.
Undoubtedly, every weight loss journey starts with a diet plan, but yours can start with Online Yoga Classes!
If and once you start yoga you will automatically start working on your diet. I’ve always seen that happen in my 25 years teaching experience.
Did you know an hour of yoga can help you burn as much as 180-600 calories?
This big range in calorie loss exists because of the type and intensity of the yoga class you attend. There are many scientific reasons why yoga aids weight loss, and one fundamental reason is that yoga stimulates the endocrine glands and brings them into a state of balanced and optimal functioning. It is imperative that these vital and powerful hormones are released into our system in the correct doses. Without this everything will be off balance including our weight. The twisting, bending, stretching, inverting in yoga postures, massages and stimulates all these glands and ensures they remain functioning healthily. The Thyroid gland controls the metabolic rate.
Wondering What Asanas Effectively Support Weight Loss? Here’s Some Useful Guidance :
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): Surya Namaskar is a dynamic sequence of 12 yoga poses that serve as an excellent full-body workout. This series of poses engages multiple muscle groups, increases heart rate, and helps burn calories. We can adjust it to a faster or slower pace, as suits us. The continuous flow of movements in Sun Salutation stimulates the digestive system and boosts metabolism, making it a key component of a weight loss yoga routine.
- Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II): Warrior II is a powerful standing pose that strengthens the legs, tones the abdominal muscles, and improves stamina. Holding this pose for an extended period can help build lean muscle mass. In the process of developing lean muscles we also burn and shed fat. In addition, holding and sustaining a posture strengthens our mind-body connection.
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana): Bridge Pose is a backbend that targets the glutes, lower back, and thighs. Regular practice of this pose can help tone these areas, making it a useful addition to our weight loss routine. It also stimulates the Thyroid gland, which plays a key role in regulating metabolism, aiding in weight management.
- Shoulderstand (Sarvanghasana) strongly stimulates the Thyroid gland, which keeps weight in check.
- The Bow/ (Dhanurasana) – This posture strongly pulls on and stretches the abdominal region, literally burning belly fat.
In addition to these, Santolan Asana or Plank Pose and variations from Plank are effective calorie burners and ab-toners.
The Bottom Line
It’s easier to maintain a healthy weight while one has peace of mind. My years of experience say stress might throw off hormones that help us control our appetite. This would cause us to seek comfort food and that is the path to weight gain. The good news is that yoga doesn’t just help us lose weight; it trains us to maintain a healthy relationship with our body by controlling stress.